Chicago Zine Fest 2013 is only a few short weeks away, and we’re so excited to announce our Friday night readers and Saturday workshops!!
Friday’s Exhibitor Reading will feature readings from:
Emily Alden Foster
Neely Bat Chestnut
Sarah Frank Reichard
Saturday’s exhibition will feature these workshops. For detailed descriptions and times, go here:
- POC Zine Project presents: Lessons from the first ‘Race Riot!’ tour with Daniela Capistrano, Osa Atoe, Suzy X & more
- Anthologizing Your Zine with Mend My Dress Press & more
- Bookbinding 101 with Rar Rar Press
- Simple Printing for Book Covers and More with Spudnik Press
- Postcard Printing Demo with Columbia’s Center for Book and Paper Arts
- Self Preservation: DIY Archiving for Zinesters with Read/Write Library
- Beyond Zine Fests: Building A Year-Long Local Zine Scene with SPOC and Dan Copulsky
- From Fests to Living Rooms: Organize Your Own Zine Event! with marlee grace and ZOE
- Arts Inclusion with Jamie Walsh
- Hit The Road: Touring Your Zine with Nicole J. Georges and Cassie J. Sneider
- In The Gutter: A Super-Quick Intro To Writing/Drawing Comics with Jenna Brager
- How Your Library Can Help You Make Your Zines with Kelly McElroy and Kalmia Strong
We know some of you don’t need it, but here’s your chance to queer up your Valentine’s Day AND help out CZF. We’re having a great reading, featuring:
Plus, you can bring your own little piece to win the hearts of the crowd! We’ll give you 3 minutes to spill your guts – read a poem, sing a quick song, stage an impromptu 3-minute play. (We retain the right to deny you your 3 minutes as well.)
$3 – $5 suggested donation
5847 N. Kenmore, #3
(The venue is an apartment and we regret to inform you that there are stairs that may make the event inaccessible to someone who has trouble with stairs.)
Well, do we have the deal for you! Here’s some info from one of our wonderful sponsors, Spudnik Press Cooperative!
Spudnik Press is pleased to be a sponsor of this year’s Zine Fest. The goals of our new studio space, The Annex, align perfectly with Zine Fest’s mission to create an outlet for small press and independent publishers to showcase their work, swap skills, sell books, and build a wholesome community.
The Annex has been accruing tools and resources to help artists and small publishers since last fall. We’ve got a photocopier, long-range staplers, sewing machine, stamps, craft supplies, and more. We even have a hot foil press and a typewriter that types in cursive!
From February 15 to March 8, anyone participating in Zine Fest can use Open Studio at a reduced rate – just $5 per session!
Here’s all the info!
- The $12 Base Fee for Open Studio will be reduced to $5 for all Zine Fest Participants.
- Artists new to Spudnik should first come to Orientation (Mondays at 6pm; Fridays at 12pm).
- Annex Open Studio Hours are Mondays 6:30-11pm and Fridays 12:30-5pm.
- Anyone who also wants to use The Printshop (for screenprinting, letterpress, etc.) can do so. There is a $10 material fee for use of presses and printmaking materials.
- Don’t want to use plain old copy paper? We have Paper Resale stocked with a variety of weights, colors, and sizes, plus a large selection of swatch books.
- B&W Photocopies are $0.05; Color Copies are $0.50.
- Much more information about utilizing our studio can be found at spudnikpress.com/studio-use
To everyone who donated to our Indiegogo campaign, we just wanted to say thanks once again. So our eternal gratitude goes out to…
Sarah G. Wenzel
Portland Button Works
…and our six wonderful anonymous donors!
…AND Michele Fila! So sorry we forgot you the first time around!
Or do you want some company on your drive or want to offer a couch to crash on?
Well, here is the place to set that up. Reply to this post with what you’re looking for and folks can reply to it. Good luck!
One of the best things about Chicago Zine Fest is all the help folks want to give. This time, it’s by giving a benefit show.
Come to Swerp Mansion (email email@example.com for details) and bring $8 and you can enjoy:
…and Teen Jaws!
The show takes place on February 8th at 8pm!
Look! It’s the list of folks who will be exhibiting at CZF 2013. WOO HOO!!!
Check out if your favorite zinester is there, read their bios, and check out some websites. We can’t wait to see you!
Wocka wocka wocka.
Seriously, though…from the bottom of CZF’s gluesticked heart – THANK YOU!
We were able to exceed our goal by $240! That’s a lotta zines! Our grand total was $1750 and we will definitely be putting that money to good use.
The prizes (totes, buttons, comp zine) will be shipping out to you as soon as they are printed and ready to go. Stay tuned to this blog for any updates on that.
And once again, from each and every one of us CZF 2013 organizers: thank you. We cannot believe we have so many new BFFs!
Well, it’s been a long road, but we only have one day left on our fundraising campaign on Indiegogo. While that’s unbelievable, the fact that our CZF Artist Pack is still available is even more unbelievable. In case you haven’t had a chance to check it out, here is what you would receive:
Signed goodies from each of the artists who have created our iconic CZF artwork including a signed print by Sara Drake (2010), a signed copy of Gaylord Phoenix by Edie Fake (2011), a signed copy of Heads or Tails by Lilli Carré (2012), and a signed 2013 calendar from Laura Berger (2013). You will also receive a thank you on our website, a CZF BFF button, a copy of the comp zine, and a CZF tote bag filled with 5 zines lovingly chosen just for you by Chicago Zine Fest.
How great is that?! We’re so lucky to have worked with such great artists. Definitely check out their work even if you are not able to get your hands on the artist pack.
There’s only one surefire way left to get yourself a half table: donate to CZF. We have one half table up for grabs. Plus, you’ll receive a star by your name in our printed program (and on our website), a CZF BFF button, a copy of our Zine Feast comp zine, and a Chicago Zine Fest tote bag filled with 5 zines hand-picked by your best friends over at Chicago Zine Fest. Not too shabby!
If you have the funds to spare and would like to secure your table, this is your chance! Only 2 days left until the end of our campaign.
(Upon end of campaign, donor must fill out an application and agree to CZF’s Safer Spaces Policy and have a table consisting of at least 75% zines.)