All events during CZF weekend are always FREE, wheelchair accessible, and open to the public! CZF 2016 took place over two days: Friday April 29th for a panel discussion & exhibitor reading, and Saturday April 30th for our main exhibition.
More information about Chicago Zine Fest 2016…
A list of exhibitors and invited guests who tabled at CZF 2016.
On Friday April 30th the evening consisted of a zinester panel discussion and an exhibitor reading.
- From 6:30-8 pm, our panel will be Permission Not Granted: Women of Color and the Politics of Zines. Sponsored by the University of Chicago Library, the discussion will be moderated by Monica Trinidad and feature Leila Abdelrazaq, Sarah Gonzalez, and Monika Harris.
- From 8-9:30 pm, our exhibitor reading will feature readers Andi Santagata (Sorry Mom Comix), JC (Tributaries), Jonas (Cheer the Eff Up), Marnie Galloway (In the Sounds and Seas), Rachel & Sari (Hoax), Taryn Hipp (Lady Teeth), Tanuja Jagernauth (Brown & Proud Press Collective), and Vicky Lim (Abstract Door).
A variety of workshops and other programming was held throughout the day on Saturday April 30th:
- 11:30 am-12:30 pm, Cute Animal Drawing Workshop. Fun ways to draw cute animals for kids ages 6 to 12. Learn basic skills to create infinite cute animals. On the balcony.
- 12:15-1:15 pm, Revolutionary Mothering: From Zines to Anthologies. Join Mai’a Williams and China Martens, two editors of Revolutionary Mothering: Love on the Front Lines, to talk about creating in difficult environments, zines and book anthologies, life, art and revolution. Mama-centric, but open to all.
- 1:30-2:30 pm, Zines: the Next Generation Youth Reading. Join the youngest members of the zine community while they show us all up with their zine skills. Bring your work to share and sign up to read at 1:30 pm. Emceed by CZF Organizer and youth educator Alex Nall.
- 2-4 pm, Custom Button Making Workshop with Busy Beaver Button Co. On the balcony.
- 2:45-3:45 pm, Drawing Out the Issues: Comics Journalism. Using our recent series for Truthout (“Growing Season”) as a basis for discussion—as well as our upcoming book Threadbare: Clothes, Sex, and Trafficking—the Ladydrawers Comics Collective will informally talk participants through the basics of longform, collective, comics journalism investigations.
- 4:00-5:00 pm, Lumpen Radio Secret Taping. An all-star cast of WLPN 105.5 hosts, supporting characters, and surprise guests travel from the secret passages of Undertown to Zine Fest to do a very special live taping.
Find detailed information about directions and nearby food options on our “Directions & Grub” page.
The after party was at Cafe Mustache (2313 N Milwaukee Ave) from 8:30 pm til midnight. DJ Cat Claw spun records and Alex Nall led everyone in Drink n’ Draw!
A selection of social media posts is archived on Storify.
Our CZF 2016 artwork was created by the very talented Erik Rodriguez.