To make the CZF magic happen, we need YOUR HELP! Can you help distribute posters and postcards to areas around the city before the fest? Would you be willing to volunteer for a few hours on Saturday May 6th to make sure the fest runs smoothly? If so, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com, including the word “volunteer” in the subject line. All volunteers get a free poster of this year’s fabulous artwork by Mike Centeno (beautifully printed by our friends at Perfectly Acceptable Press).
We’ve got a lot of great stuff lined up during our Saturday May 6th zine exhibition! It’ll be open from 11 am-6 pm at Plumbers Union Hall (1340 W Washington Blvd) but we’ve got special events lined up during the day. Check it out:
Workshops throughout the day on Saturday:
- 12:15-1:15 pm: Ever Evolving Bastion of Freakdom: a Retrospection of Quimby’s Bookstore. Owner, manager, workers, and customers all chatting about Quimby’s twenty-five-year history. Emceed by CZF organizer and youth educator Alex Nall.
- 1:30-2:30 pm: Zines: the Next Generation. Join the youngest members of the zine community while they show us all up with their zine skills. Bring your work to share and sign up to read at 1:30 p.m. Emceed by CZF organizer and youth educator Alex Nall.
- 2:45-3:45 pm: Experimental Drawing Techniques with Mackenzie M-B. Ever wanted to use different modes of drawing in your zines? Like, something that is still highly observed but is more “show” and less “tell”? This workshop will teach you how to incorporate some experimental drawing techniques to deepen and strengthen your drawing practice. We will use keystone techniques in the workshop and share ideas around how to take these techniques back into the studio. Let your drawing puppy off that leash! Please bring a sketchbook and something to draw with.
- 4:00-5:00 pm: Press-less Patch Printing with Fata Morgana Press. Workshop participants will learn cheap and easy methods for printing patches at home including vegan gelatin printing, ink slab transfer, cyanotype, xerox transfer, and pochoir stenciling. Led by Mary Clare Butler and Amy Leners.
There will also be all-ages activities all day Saturday, including:
- 11:00 am-1:00 pm: Letterpress. Spudnik Press will be showing off their new portable letterpress at the activity table. Make some analog magnetic poetry to keep on a card forever or send to a friend!
- 1:00-3:00 pm: Button making. Join Busy Beaver Button Co. at the activity table to make custom buttons.
- 3:00-6:00 pm: Sticker-making & arts and crafts. Everyone is invited to join staff from The WasteShed, Chicago’s Creative Reuse Resource, for mini-zines and sticker making.
- all day: Photos. Get your glamour on in the GlitterGuts photo booth.
We’ve got a fantastic list of small press creators ready to entertain you from Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Toronto, San Antonio, and right here in Chicago! These zinesters and comics artists will be sharing their work Friday May 5th at Co-Prosperity Sphere (3219 S Morgan St in Bridgeport) starting at 8 pm:
Please RSVP at our Facebook event and tell your friends—you won’t want to miss out on this great evening!
We are so excited about the fabulous exhibitors, sponsors, and invited guests that will be joining us for CZF 2017! Check them out here!
We’re excited to announce our panel members for Friday May 5th: JC, Rinko Endo, and Kevin Budnik! They’ll be discussing “Tools of Survival: Using Zines for Self-Care,” moderated by School of Life Design co-founder Kelly Cree. Friday evening’s events will be held at Co-Prosperity Sphere (3219 S Morgan St in Bridgeport). Thanks to The University of Chicago Library for sponsoring our Friday night panel!
incredible artwork by Yewon Kwon
It’s time again for the night of fun and seriously fabulous prizes—CZF Bingo Night!
This year our sixth annual bingo fundraiser will be held at Hamburger Mary’s (5400 N Clark St, Chicago, IL) on Sunday March 26 starting at 8 pm. Our special guest bingo caller will be Bingo-Diva Velicity Metropolis who will regale you with smart, humorous banter while calling out the winning numbers. Make an evening of it with dinner and drinks!
The entry donation of $15 includes one bingo card good for the entire night of rounds. Each round allows a chance to win! You can purchase multiple cards for $10 each to double your luck. Win spectacular prizes from local businesses including Quimby’s Bookstore, Vice-Versa Press, and more! RSVP at our Facebook event and plan on joining us March 26th to support Chicago Zine Fest 2017!